Friday, January 19, 2007

Ethnically-Themed* Insults

* "Not-Really-Racist" Noooo, no, not really. I didn't mean it. I was just trying to be, ya know, insulting, not racist. **snark alert!**

I spent some time thinking about this and working up a fine rant, and then thinking and writing more and rewriting. Here is what's left. I can't get the italics to work, so it may have lost some nuance. heh


* * * * * *

I have been hearing about the Indian actress in Briton who has been getting racist remarks lobbed at her on a reality show. Or as they claim, it's not racist. Oh, so it's only Indian-themed insults? Ooo. Now that's different. Shall we make lists of ethnically-themed insults that aren't really racist? No? Too close to the line? Well, it's not okay, then, is it?

http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/big-bother-speaks-volumes/2007/01/19/1169095979178.html?page=3

I find it interesting that the execs are describing this as Confronting the Stereotypes That Exist in our Society. Ahahahhahah. Really. What a lame, lame excuse. And so letting this ugly situation run on is helping us how??

I do not see how encouraging people to speak racist and ugly trash is helpful or elucidating. Just because you have trash in your mind does not mean you need to show it off. The show seems to be an excuse to release ones inner bully, beating up on anyone who might have a weak spot. Or to take sides vicariously, whether one secretly sides with the perpetrators or the object of the bullying. Not that this is unexpected on a show designed to encourage friction.
(A side thought: Maybe the SurvivOr ethnic teams were hoping for a little similar glimpse of the underbelly to boost ratings. What were they hoping for? "Dozens" at 20 paces?)

Okay, yeah, I get that such shows are set up so that the viewers get hooked into the conflict, even though it's the last thing I personally would want to watch. So I guess I'm not really surprised that someone is acting like a guttersnipe on television. Why is it that someone thinks they need to come up with something Indian-related to give the proper dig to a nasty taunt? Using the "otherness" as an insult, and THEN deny that they are not using that. That's what really astounds and steams me.

They asked the "actress" in question about her language. The article reports:
"Denying racism, Goody said: "She is Indian, thinking of an Indian name and the only thing I could think of was Indian food. Wasn't racial at all. It was not to offend any Indian out there. Everyone knows I don't like her. She don't like me." "

She calls her "Shilpa Pappadum" but not to offend any Indian out there? pu-LEASE. Lame, lame, lame. Hon? Uh, NOT okay. I am not a perfect person, but I was appropriately slapped down for such behavior in early _elementary school_ (which was, trust me, decades ago) and I have been trying to be a better human being ever since. How old is this person again? I can't say that the teevee execs are much better, excusing this as merely insults. How do you excuse a slap to swaths of society?? _Uh, forgive me; I was a moron?_

I have to say that such catty, racist remarks shows a person's lack of class. I am not a big fan of "class" as a social order, but it seems appropriate to say that verbally rolling around in the gutter indicates a lack of self-control and respect for other people. Someone who has been raised to be a decent human being can find other ways to disagree with someone than slinging stereotypes.

By some accounts, the perpetrators' careers are already suffering. Ehehehe. So there is some justice. And even TB as PM is having to "reaffirm Britain's opposition to racism." Karmic Shadenfreuden!

* * * * * * *


Another aspect of this is the denial from people who don't want to see the ugliness that exists. I don't want to see it either. But when someone gets slimed with hate, we are confronted with the flaw in our thinking that this never happens. In my own community, I have been really shocked and sad that others of certain ethnic groups experience racism and prejudicial hate on a regular basis. Just because I don't often see it or experience it personally does not deny that reality. I can't say "oh, that never happens here" if I am honest with myself.

Those of us adopting from the international or multi-ethnic community (what would be the proper word here?) have even more to think about. We are charged with raising and loving our children and helping them grow into fine upstanding adults. If we don't acknowledge that they will suffer racism, we are _denying their reality_ and doing a grave disservice to them as our child, not to _mention_ to the larger community! We can't just fantasize that we can always protect our children from ever experiencing racism (although I admit I do). We need to find ways to confront racism and to teach our children to defend their sense of self. We need ways to change our societies for the better so that racist thought, speech and action has no purchase.

*sigh* ... This topic is always larger than I can write.


* * * * * * *

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home