Sunday, November 18, 2007

Chocolate and Jackets

* * * *
Despite being hit yesterday by that news of that poor little girl in St. Louis (and the sorry excuse for parental adults who harassed her), I had a decent day yesterday.

* * * *
After Lindt truffle comparison shopping, I realized that the going price had gone up to 50 cents! Ack! And most places are not carrying the amaretto flavor this year; what is up with that? I guess when I attempt to make some this year, they will have to be amaretto, or at least almond flavored.

It used to be umm... 20-25 years ago or so, that to get really good chocolate, one had to find a specialty store that stocked imported chocolate bars. In college, there was one old musty wine and import coffee shop down the street where I could find the good stuff. And boy, was it expensive. The variety was pretty limited, maybe four flavors of one brand, almost all of it Lindt or RitterSport or similar brands of German or Swiss chocolate. I am not complaining about that... it was then when I realized that chocolate was more than about the sugar. That was also about the time I got a copy of the book, Chocolate, the Consuming Passion: "written, illustrated and overresearched" by Sandra Boynton. hehe A fun and informative read.

I appreciate that I can find really good chocolate in a number of places now, and even more varieties and brands. I go for the fair trade bars when I can. So it's still expensive, but that's the price we pay for this precious stuff. Not to mention the extra prices for travel and distribution since oil prices are going up. We manage to consume $5-20 in good bar chocolate a week. (shh!)

In aaany case, I bite the truffle yesterday and bought what I needed in the flavors I couldn't get cheaper elsewhere (except the amaretto). Plus other sweet things good for distributing.

There's a local massive food and gift store which carries all kinds of wonderful things, both local and imported items, so that's a good place for me to stock up. It becomes a massive chaotic maze during Christmas season--a madhouse. In even the best of times, I always get lost and have to wander hopelessly in a certain direction to get where I need to go, and god help me when I have to try to get OUT. I have a strategy that cuts down on panic attacks... Enter on the far end and stick to the coffee and cheese section for half a mile until I hit the cutting boards, bowls and knives... carry on past the cast iron and tart pans and then weave left through Italian dinnerware until I hit the chocolate.... Then, if I can manage it, I leave through the mall, so I don't have to navigate the other way. It's bloody unnecessarily complicated. Don't ask why I can't just start in the mall...

Anyhow, now I may not have to go back there in December at all! The thought makes me very, very happy. It was already difficult to find parking at the mall. What's up with that? Maybe "everyone" has the same idea that I do--get ahead on shopping. Now I have to hide the whole package from myself for a while. That's how many pounds and dollars in sugar/chocolate?

* * * *
More fun things: A women's clothing exchange. I have become a big fan of these because it gives me a place to pass on clothing I need to get rid of, AND to maybe find new free stuff, AND hang out with cool women (who I may or may not know) while we all try out new looks.

Part of what I enjoy about it is the potential possibilities of the situation. All sorts of random clothes and women get thrown together, and almost everyone can find an unexpected connection that is a pleasant find. It's like going shopping with the camaraderie of your girlfriends, even if you don't have the kind of girlfriends in the rest of your life who you can do that with.

So what do you think? Is it me?

I scored a couple of really wonderful jackets I can wear for teaching or to more formal (glitzy/sober) occasions, plus a bunch o' other stuff. Even a couple of men's shirts for M. These days, I get most of my jeans from exchanges because I can't find what I want in the stores... and apparently, at least one of the women in the group wears my size. And has fabulous taste. I've been lucky that way. :) Good fun for a sunny Fall morning.

* * * *
Well, I'm off to bake some before the day gets (even more) hectic.

Wishing you all a relaxed and enjoyable day with loved ones.

May we all treat each other with kindness and grace, even when we get annoyed with each other.

* * * *

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:13 AM , Blogger Suz said...

I need a clothing exchange...but tend to be really, really picky and hard to fit. Sigh! I'm glad that it worked for you!

 
At 10:28 AM , Blogger Marie said...

The beauty of it is that you are not required to take anything home. :) Most of us made it out the door with only about the same volume of clothes we donated to begin with. A local thrift store made out big time afterwards.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home