Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Winter Sun

I have never noticed that the winter light makes me depressed before, but this year, it's been more obvious. A gray day even with a good mood to start, and I feel quiet and glum.  Sunlight lifts the spirits amazingly so.   

This really hit home today today.  I was sitting in the living room and enjoying my morning, but subdued. The sun suddenly came out and started gleaming in from the porch, and my heart lifted almost immediately.  Wow. That quick, huh?  It seems that more (sun) light translates into more energy and happiness for me. 

Some days I just tear right along, feeling good and energetic and productive, or at least at peace.  Other days I just feel low, glum, lackluster, discouraged and/or unmotivated.  I'm not always sure what dictates this from day to day. Amount of things on my to-do list? The level of perceived barrier between me and my goals? Lack of green vegetables? Lack of enough sunlight? Strange dreams?  Hmmm. Could be. 

Up to now, my only reliable way to positively  affect my mood has been to listen to music.  Either something calm or laid back when I am stressed, or something more energetic when I need extra motivation to get moving.  I often play a feel-good CD when I am starting to wash dishes or any house cleaning. The lift from the music helps get me over the hump of starting the chore, whatever it is.  Sometimes I can use music when I work on other projects if it is not too loud or too lively.  Interesting that it seems to help me (settle down/pep up) and focus at those times.   I might be able to work the sunlight angle too. 


Things that help me settle/focus/gain energy:

Music (ahhh)

Clear spaces (must declutter more!)

Quiet space (such as early morning or late night)

Having a clear idea of what I want to do and the steps I can take to get there (that always helps!)

Spending time away from the internet (doh!)

Meditation and yoga (time to reflect and refocus)

Walking or hiking

Green peas, also, a handful of walnuts or a bit of brown rice (Don't laugh. These really help me settle.  Good quality food improves everything.) 

Completing some routine task (like sweeping the floor, washing a set of dishes, putting away clean dishes or laundry) that allows me to feel I have accomplished something and ready for the next thing 
Sometimes this is "clearing out the mental cobwebs," and sometimes it is "priming the pump."

Sunlight?  Must investigate the possibilities! Fortunately, I live in a house with many windows and in a climate with many sunny days.  Ironic that I can't tolerate much direct sun at all, but yet I need it.



Then, things that bring me down:

Too much time on the internet (it can be fun, but draining)

Too much chocolate or caffeine  (induces mood swings; the highs and lows are both bad, bad, bad)

Too much sugar (sugar or aspartame headaches are the worst!) 

Ignoring the thing I need to do (it only gets worse)

Being reminded of toxic people/situations I have known 




Mood diary?  Food diary?  More time in real life?  I am thinking so.  
More sun, when I can get it.  


Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home